nu:nord is an international community of emerging new-music creators from Canada, Norway and the UK.
Year-round activities revolve around our annual Northern New Music Encounter — a collaborative workshop hosted each year by members from one of our participating countries. These sessions offer a meeting place for composers & performers to share perspectives, collaborate, and create & perform new musical work.
Through peer evaluation, positive criticism, and a stylistically non-discriminatory environment, we aspire to build a supportive core that we hope will strengthen and nourish the international contemporary music community.
Participant workshops in Oslo, 2013
Our summer Northern New Music Encounter presents collaborative events which include:
• performances of participants’ work
• participant-run workshops and discussion groups
• opportunities to collaborate across both sides of the musical score
We offer members a framework to make opportunities for themselves.
We’re looking for participants who are:
• eager to meet other artists coming from different backgrounds and bringing different perspectives
• interested in community involvement
• open to collaboration with performers and composers
• ready to have their ideas challenged, and to challenge the ideas of others, with the mutual goal of enriching their craft
Community building for nu:nord is about respecting the stylistic diversity of individual practice, while fostering social responsibility. We aspire to foster a climate of mutual respect among emerging new-music creators, and encourage our participants to share this attitude throughout the wider music community.